North Kingstown High School
North Kingstown, Rhode Island
Size: 250,000 square feet
New England’s harsh winters and an aging high school in disrepair provided impetus for replacing North Kingstown’s multi-building campus with a new building. The new three-story facility, designed by the architectural team Saccoccio & Associates/Goody Clancy architectural team, provides an 850-seat auditorium, two gymnasiums, a stadium, dining hall, media center, fine arts wing and 92 classrooms for accommodating 1,800 students. A glass walled spine serves as a central focal point between the two primary entrances, as it divides the classroom wing from the remainder of the facility. The new North Kingstown High School is an efficient state-of-the-art academic complex that serves as a model for surrounding communities.
Project highlights include:
- Day-lighting: maximize natural light
- Green-spaces for student interaction
- Energy efficient lighting used throughout
- District received $120,000 NGRID rebate
- Energy efficient HVAC systems
- Use of materials with high recycled content
- Use of low maintenance building materials.